Birthday Weekend

Comments Off on Birthday Weekend Written on Sunday, August 21, 2016, at 9:25pm EDT, by
Categories: Max

It’s been a big birthday weekend for all of us. On Friday evening we rented the outside pool at Collins Hill Aquatic Center for about twenty-four of Max’s friends and more than a handful of their parents to celebrate his eighth birthday with him. I believe everyone had a great time. It’s been extremely hot this summer, but heavy cloud cover gave us some much-needed relief. We gave Max a Pokémon-themed party, though I don’t believe anyone was interested in finding any Pokémon with a huge pool with a host of aquatic attractions all to themselves.

We enjoyed pizza from Costco and a Pokémon cupcake cake.

We partied to the backdrop of a Collins Hill High School football game and the sounds of their marching band rehearsing before the game and during halftime.

His friends were too generous. When we got home Max opened what seemed like a zillion presents and gift cards.

Max said his party was awesome. It was.

Having his big birthday a day before his actual birthday meant he got another party on his actual birthday with Mimi, Grandpa, Granny, Marlie, George, and me. Granny baked a thin-layer chocolate cake for the occasion, which we enjoyed in Mimi and Grandpa’s shop.

We had our party in the middle of the afternoon on Saturday, Max’s actual birthday. In the morning Becky and Max went to a friend’s birthday party in Duluth. He was anxious to get home to open our presents.

We gave our little buddy a scooter, skateboard, a Razor Crazy Cart, a “flatulence” machine (which he’ll be delighted to share with his classmates at his next show-and-tell), a Thomas TrackMaster set with lots of extra pieces, some Nerf stuff, and a Donald Trump bobblehead doll. (He asked for the doll.)

He had wanted a motorcycle and I wanted to buy him one, but we don’t have a place for him to ride it or adequate transportation to get the bike and equipment to and from local tracks. Maybe next year.

The little fellow didn’t get to enjoy his toys very long before it was time for Parents Night Out at Gymnastix Training Center, which he wanted to attend. I figured he’d want to stay home and play, but he wanted to play with his friends.

When Becky and I picked him up at 10:00 pm, he was still excited but he was also tired and said so.

When we went to bed with just two minutes left in the day, he wanted Becky and me to sing “Happy Birthday” to him again. We obliged.

He went to church this morning with Mimi and Grandpa and Mama joined them later for the regular Sunday service. They all went to Cracker Barrel for lunch and Max came home with Mimi and Grandpa and played with the kids who live caddy corner to Mimi and Grandpa.

We picked him up after a short while and headed to Granny’s for him to ride his new Crazy Cart and skateboard. He didn’t spend much time there because he wanted to go to the nearby skatepark at Duncan Creek Park. We all had a blast at the park, and Max has a few scrapes and bruises to show for it.

Today was Max’s first day learning how to ride a skateboard and a stunt-style kick scooter, and there were a handful of serious skateboarders at the park, along with another handful of kids who are also new to the sport. Everyone was very nice to Max. He was a little bit scared to get started “dropping off” into the skate bowls, but he eventually mustered the courage and confidence to do it. One teen girl was especially helpful in building his confidence on his skateboard. She held her foot in front of the board’s wheels so Max could get on it without having to balance while it was moving.

We headed home so we could begin preparing for the week ahead.

Just like when we used to blog daily, both Max and Becky are standing immediately behind me and adamantly demanding that I quit writing now and go to bed.

It was a grand weekend. I was sure to write this because I never want to forget it.

I’ll post pictures tomorrow.